PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE AUTOMOTIVE XPRIZE OVERVIEW & GOALS
"The Progressive Insurance Automotive XPRIZE was a global competition that awarded $10 million to three teams that built cars that achieved at least 100 MPGe in real world driving. These cars were safe, affordable and desirable with the ultimate goal of offering more efficient vehicle choices to consumers.
With our partners at Consumer Reports, we also advanced the adoption of a new consumer metric, called MPGe (Miles per Gallon or gasoline equivalent energy), that offers consumers the ability to make an apples-to-apples comparison of this next generation of vehicles that will use a variety of energy sources and fuels with the conventional cars they drive today.
Progressive Insurance was our Title Sponsor and the U.S. Department Of Energy our major supporter because they believe in incentivizing innovation through competition to reshape the automotive industry. It was truly a public/private partnership.
High-Level Prize Rules
- Mainstream class entries were required to seat at least four passengers, have four wheels, and have a minimum 200 mile range
- Alternative class entries opened up the design space a bit by reducing the requirements to seat at least two passengers with a minimum 100 mile range and no minimum on the number of wheels
- Regardless, to win, vehicles must have completed all on-track tests, demonstrated fuel economy numbers equal to at least 100 MPGe, passed all FMVSS requirements, and completed validation testing on the chassis dynamometer.
- Beyond these, the fastest time clocked in the Finals Events won
The competition guidelines can be found by clicking the link below.
GOAL OF THE PROGRESSIVE AUTOMOTIVE XPRIZE
To inspire a new generation of viable, super-efficient vehicles that help break our addiction to oil and stem the effects of climate change.
APPROACH TO DEVELOPING THE COMPETITION GUIDELINES
The competition guidelines were shaped by our philosophy that the Progressive Automotive XPRIZE must:
- Achieve our main goal (above)
- Be simple to understand and easy to communicate
- Benefit the world - this is a global challenge
- Result in real cars available for purchase, not concept cars
- Remain independent, fair, non-partisan, and technology-neutral
- Provide clear technical boundaries (i.e., for fuel-efficiency, emissions, safety, manufacturability, performance, capacity, etc.)
- Offer a "level playing field" that attracts both existing automobile manufacturers and newcomers
- Attract a balanced array of private investment, donors, sponsors, and partners to help competitors succeed (e.g., manufacturing assistance, testing resources, etc.)
- Make heroes out of the competitors and winner(s) through unprecedented exposure, media coverage and a significant cash award
- Educate the public on key issues